FISHING -- The Idaho Fish and Game Department's “Take Me Fishing” trailers have geared up and scheduled 16 days of equipping novice anglers for fishing fun at Idaho Panhandle lakes.
Stocked with fishing tackle, the trailers travel to local fishing spots to promote fishing.
Each trailer contains tackle, bait and hundreds of fishing rods rigged and ready to be signed-out for free to anyone who shows up and registers at the trailer.
Agency staffers will be on hand to help get kids and adults started and deal with any beginner issues, such as tangled lines.
No fishing license is required during the events and everything is free.
The fishing opportunity is open to people of any age, Idaho residents and non-residents alike, during the hours of each event as long as they are signed in at the trailer.
All other rules such as size limits and daily bag limits are in effect.
Equipment is checked out on a first-come, first-served basis.
While Idaho children 13 years old and under can always fish for free, these events give their parents, older siblings and friends the opportunity to try fishing without purchasing a license, said Phil Cooper, Idaho Fish and Game spokesman in Coeur d'Alene.
Info: (208) 769-1414.
Panhandle Region “Take Me Fishing” Trailer Schedule 2015 public events:
- May 2 -- Fernan Lake, 11 a.m.-4 p.m.
- May 7 -- Chase Lake, 3 p.m.-6 p.m.
- May 9 -- Cocolalla Lake, 11 a.m.-4 p.m.
- May 12 -- Rose Lake, 3 p.m.-6 p.m.
- May 14 -- Jewel Lake, 3 p.m.-6 p.m.
- May 16 -- Fernan Lake, 11 a.m.-4 p.m.
- May 19 -- Fernan Lake, 3 p.m.-6 p.m.
- May 21 -- Post Falls Park, 3 p.m.-6 p.m.
- May 28 -- Dawson Lake, 3 p.m.-6 p.m.
- May 30 -- Steamboat Pond, 11 a.m.-4 p.m.
- June 2 -- Hauser Lake, 3 p.m.-6 p.m.
- June 4 -- Spicer Pond (St. Maries), 3 p.m.-6 p.m.
- June 6 -- Perkins Lake, 11 a.m.-4 p.m.
- June 9 -- Fernan Lake, 3 p.m.-6 p.m.
- June 11 -- Jewel Lake, 3 p.m.-6 p.m.
- June 13 -- Rathdrum City Park, 9 a.m.-noon.