WINTERSPORTS -- The annual Methow Valley Nordic Festival based in Winthrop, Wash., kicks off Friday, Jan 23, for a three-day weekend to celebrate nordic skiing, snowshoeing, fat biking and winter trail running.
To sweeten the event, Methow Trails, Winthrop Mountain Sports and other local business partners are offering:
- Free cross-country skiing all day (no trail passes required)
- Free rentals at participating businesses
- Free ski lessons courtesy of Methow Valley Ski School
- Free fat bike demo hosted by Methow Cycle and Sport
Saturday, Jan.24, events include:
- 30k classic ski race from Winthrop to Mazama as part of a one or two day skiing competition.
- Winter trail runners can enjoy a 9k or a 15k winter trail run organized by Rainshadow Running
- Free skate ski clinic for runners hosted by Methow Endurance
- Free snowshoe nature tour begins at 11:00am from two Methow Valley locations.
- Nordic Festival Dinner, a fundraiser for the Methow Valley Ski Team.
Sunday, Jan. 25, events include:
- The 30k Pursuit skate ski (race, tour, or relay) from Mazama to Winthrop with post-race party.
Methow Trails is North America’s largest cross-country ski area with more than 120 miles of groomed trails where visitors 17 and under and those 75 and older ski free everyday.