HUNTING -- Forest grouse hunters can help wildlife biologists get a handle species that are remote and difficult to study by depositing wings of their birds in wing collection barrels stationed around Eastern Washington.
Below are locations of wing barrel locations currently out in Region 1. "We will put a couple more out in Pend Oreille County, just not sure exactly where yet," said Michael Atamian, Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife biologist in Spokane. "The Colville Tribe will be putting some out as well."
Hunters who pass a barrel should stop and submit their wings, which help biologists with information on species and age structure.
Hunters also can submit wings to any department office.
Region 1 Grouse Wing Barrel Locations
- Ferry County – Deer Creek and Boulder Pass
- Ferry County – S. Fork Sherman (east end) and Highway 20
- Pend Oreille County –Rustler’s Gulch Wildlife Area, East Entrance (Last Chance Rd off Fertile Valley Rd)
- Spokane County – Inland Empire Paper gate at Thompson Creek
- Spokane County – Inland Empire Paper gate at Blanchard Hump
- Spokane County – Inland Empire Paper gate on N Jackson Rd
- Spokane County – FAA gate at Starr Road on Mica Peak
- Spokane County – behind Bob Mart, 1501 E Crawford Ave, Deer Park
- Spokane County – WDFW regional headquarters Lab rollup door in Spokane Valley (for after hour and weekend drop off)
- Columbia County – Wooten Wildlife Area HQ – Tucannon River