Arrow-right Camera
The Spokesman-Review Newspaper
Spokane, Washington  Est. May 19, 1883

Sirens & Gavels

Arrest in attack that nearly severed leg

Two suspects have been identified in a brutal stabbing on Monday that left a woman with a huge cut on her scalp and a right upper leg sliced nearly to the bone.

Marquis D. Jackson, 28, and Kelsey K. Peone, 23, are charged with first-degree assault, first-degree burglary and attempted first-degree robbery for the knife attack at a home in the 4000 block of East Pacific Avenue.

Victim Danielle Bains told police she hard a knock on her front door and opened it only to be punched in the face by Jackson, according to court documents, and Jackson began heaving objects at her, including a coffee table.

An unidentified man pushed her to the floor and held her there while Peone "began to slash and cut Bains with a large knife," according to court documents. "Bains described this knife as a large fillet knife, similar to one you would cut up fish with."

Bains said Peone repeatedly asked "where's the money?" while attacking her.

Bains needed 14 staples to close a large cut to her scalp. She also cut her right hand, and police described her right calf as being cut nearly to the bone.

She underwent surgery at Providence Sacred Heart Medical Center for what were described as life threatening injuries. Police arrived to find blood everywhere and were told by Bains that "Marquis Jackson and Kelsey had done this to her." Police say Bains' head injury "continued to spurt blood the entire time she was in the emergency room."

A detective talked to Bains after surgery and said she was in excruciating pain from her injuries and would be in the hospital for an undetermined amount of time.

Peone was arrested Wednesday and appeared in Spokane County Superior Court. Jackson was not in custody as of this afternoon, and the third suspect has yet to be identified.

Peone previously served time in prison for delivery of a controlled substance. She was at Pine Lodge Corrections Center when it closed and women had to move to prisons on the West Side. She described the move as "devastating" during a visit with her mother in May 2010.

"I am trying to change my life," Peone said, according to the May 2, 2010, article, "and they are taking away my support network."

Public safety news from the Inland Northwest and beyond.