1. Though I was born in Texas (thanks to my parents and the United States Air Force) and have lived there briefly as an adult, I have never been to San Antonio and thus have never seen the Alamo.
2. My friend Robert is the Public Editor of the San Antonio Express-News. (That means he deals with angry readers when no one else wants to.) We worked together in El Paso a hundred years ago.
3. There is, after all, a Catholic college in the game again this year.
4. If San Antonio does not have some outstanding Mexican food, my whole world view is faulty.
5. Though I have no real connection to the school, I have received University of Michigan apparel as gifts.