COUGARS • UPDATED: 10:10 A.M.
It was really nice to have a slow weekend following Washington State's win in Spokane on Friday night. We're back at it a bit today with our usual morning post, plus some news at the end, so read on.
• Washington State: Not a lot in the way of Cougar news, but there was some as the football team held its season-ending banquet Saturday night. We have them below.
• UPDATE: Here are the awards that were handed out Saturday night. Senior awards: Laurie Niemi Award (Cougar Attitude) – Hallston Higgins and Micah Hannam; Frank Butler Award (Cougar Spirit) – Myron Beck; Fred Bohler Award (Cougar Inspiration) – Chantz Staden. Team awards: Leon Bender Award (Defensive Lineman of the Year) – Travis Long; Mike Utley Award (Offensive Lineman of the Year) – Zack Williams; Tim Petek Award (Strongest Man Award) – James Montgomery; Scout Team Offensive Player of the Year – Blair Bomber; Scout Team Defensive Player of the Year– Anthony Martinez; Offensive Most Valuable Player– Jeff Tuel; Defensive Most Valuable Player – Deone Bucannon; Randal Simmons Award (Coaches Award) – Daniel Blackledge
• Around the Pac-10: ESPN.com's Ted Miller recaps the weekend news. ... Washington: A Husky walk-on got a chance to step in during the Apple Cup. ... UW is back at practice for its Holiday Bowl appearance, but the practices thus far have been mainly for the reserves. ... Oregon State: The Beavers defeat Texas Pan-American by 20 and it is considered a blowout. ... Oregon: While Chip Kelly and LaMichael James were doing the awards circuit, the Ducks practiced. ... California: The Bears drop another home game, this time to Southern Mississippi. ... Stanford: Jeremy Green follows up an 0-for-8 first-half effort with 22 second-half points as the Cardinal defeat UC Riverside. ... USC: The Cam Newton saga has to help the Trojans' NCAA appeal. ... UCLA: A couple of Bruin basketball players suffer food poisoning. ... Arizona State: looking back at the Devils' win Saturday. ... Arizona: The Wildcats may have a good won-loss record, but they've lost to the only two good teams they've played.
• We have some personal news. Longtime readers of this blog might remember some health issues I suffered over the summer, and the resulting good news I passed along here not too long ago. Well, the good news was premature. So for the next week or so I will be undergoing some procedures that the doctors hope will cure what ails me. They will force me to be off the blog on Wednesday for sure, then we'll see how I'm doing over the course of the next week. Depending on how I feel, we'll post.
• That's all for this morning. We'll be back if events warrant. Until then ...