High school football in Spokane dates back to the 19th century when the city’s only public high school at that time, Spokane High, first fielded a team.
When exactly Spokane High first took to the field is lost in the mists of time, but we know it was as early as 1894 when they were one of the first opponents of Washington Agricultural College when that institution took to the gridiron. Today, the school is known as Washington State University.
As the 20th century got underway, Spokane High played a schedule which featured games against schools from Seattle and Tacoma on a yearly basis.. The winning team often proclaimed themselves state champions. Other opponents hailed from far and near, and included contests with schools from Portland, Butte, and even Salt Lake City.
In 1908, the city’s second high school, North Central, opened its doors, and Spokane High was renamed South Central. The two schools enjoyed two years of a spirited rivalry until June, 1910, when South Central was destroyed by fire.
In the fall of 1910 the students of the two schools joined together for classes at North Central . For two years, NC became Spokane High School once again. Because of the crowded conditions at the school, seniors and juniors had the morning shift while sophomores and freshman met in the afternoon. The school colors were Blue and White, and they became the Huskies for sporting competitions.
In football, Frederic Kennedy, who had coached South Central prior to the fire, had the reins in 1910. In 1911, Sam Moyer, who would go on to coach NC football for 10 more years, took over. The team had winning seasons both years, and only a 6-3 season-ending loss to Wenatchee kept the 1911 squad from going undefeated.
In 1912, on the former site of South Central, the new Lewis & Clark High School opened. Spokane High School then became just a historical footnote. North Central began its new rivalry with LC, and reclaimed its name, colors, and Indian mascot which continue to the present day.