u 2019 Washington Primary Election, Aug. 6
More than 50 years after voters decided to combine city and county jails, the city is considering separating city and county criminal justice services again.
Contributions for former television news anchor Nadine Woodward have hit six figures, making her the only mayoral candidate in the crowded field to reach that mark so far. Meanwhile, an opponent, current City Council President Ben Stuckart, says a questionable campaign practice known as a push poll is contacting voters with misinformation. He initially alleged the poll came from the Woodward campaign, but later said it could have originated from an independent group.
Former TV Journalist Nadine Woodward has refused to do phone or in-person interviews with Inlander reporters, according to a piece the alt-weekly published Thursday.
The Spokane Public Library is investigating after an unauthorized video of an altercation between a guard and a library patron was posted by a mayoral candidate on social media.
Spokane City Councilman Mike Fagan pumped his fist while leading his audience in an enthusiastic chant Thursday evening, seemingly offering full-throated support to a conservative secessionist movement that would turn Eastern Washington into a 51st state called Liberty. But on Friday, Fagan, who’s running for council president, said he’s not necessarily a supporter of the movement.
Spin Control reprises its eight rules for running for office for the 2019 crop of candidates.
Newcomers ready to campaign for Spokane school board as three incumbents decline to seek re-election
Three incumbents declined to file for re-election to the Spokane Public Schools board of directors this week, setting the stage for newcomers to help tackle public education policy and budgeting.
All of the races for political positions in the city of Spokane will have competitive primaries, with four races attracting 25 candidates at the filing deadline Friday afternoon. Incumbents in Spokane Valley have also drawn challengers.
Five candidates with varied ties to public education want to take them even further by seeking election to the Spokane Public Schools board of directors.
One incumbent and several new candidates have filed to run for office on the second day of filing week.
- Spokane mayor
- Fairfield Town Council
- Spokane Valley City Council, position 6
- Spokane Valley City Council, position 3
- Spokane Valley City Council, position 2
- Spokane City Council, south district
- Spokane City Council, northwest district
- Spokane City Council, northeast district
- Spokane City Council president
- Liberty Lake City Council, position 7
- Airway Heights City Council, position 7
- Spokane Public Schools Board, position 4
- Nine Mile Falls School Board
- Spokane Public Schools Board, position 2
- Spokane Public Schools Board, position 1
- Spokane Valley Fire Department Commission, position 1
- Spokane County Fire District 3, position 1
- Spokane County Fire District 10 Commission, position 1
Public School District
Choose an election for the latest information on races and measures, headlines and voting results.