Guidelines for submissions:
- Contestants must be current students within The Spokesman-Review circulation area. High School students are strongly encouraged to submit.
- Work must be original
- Include the writer’s name, school, grade, email address and telephone.
- Essays or Stories - less than 1,500 words, nonfiction or fiction in any literary genre. (Please submit in .docx or .doc. )
- Poems: less than 20 lines. All poems are accepted. (Please submit in .docx or .doc. )
- Art: Limited to three pieces per submission. Make sure all art is accessible in .PDF, .JPG, .PNG format
- Video/Film: All videos must be under 2 minutes. Please attach the video title, your name and high school you attend in a three-second post or pre-credits (mp4 is the only acceptable format)
Entries to be received by midnight January 8. 2024 and can be emailed to SpokaneBlackVoices@spokesman.com. In the subject line, please include “SBV Submission 2024.” Along with the submission, please send over a third person bio that includes the title of your piece, your pronouns, personal interests and other things we should know about you.
Selected work will be presented at the third annual celebration of Spokane Black Voices at Tuesday, Feb. 1 2024 at the Northwest Passages stage at at the Myrtle Woldson Performing Arts Center Coughlin Theater (211 E Desmet Ave) at Gonzaga University at 7:00 pm.