An electric heater ignited a cardboard box filled with clothes, starting a fire that destroyed a North Side duplex early Monday.
Firefighters called to the one-story duplex at 4210 N. Atlantic at 7 a.m. found flames shooting from the center windows.
James Hurley, who lives in the basement apartment, was able to wake five other residents in the building. No one was injured, fire officials said.
Damage is estimated at about $80,000.
Subscribe to the Coronavirus newsletter
Get the day’s latest Coronavirus news delivered to your inbox by subscribing to our newsletter.