An 11-year-old girl wet from swimming was electrocuted when she stepped near an electrified light pole at a playground construction area.
Crystin Hess was waiting with a friend for a ride home Sunday when she stepped near some rolled-up metal fencing and the pole, which had current running through it.
Several adults pulled the girl away and tried to revive her. She was pronounced dead at a hospital.
Officials were investigating how the pole had become electrically charged.
Local journalism is essential.
Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.
Subscribe to the Coronavirus newsletter
Get the day’s latest Coronavirus news delivered to your inbox by subscribing to our newsletter.