Charles Barkley testified Wednesday that he pushed the man who is suing him because he was a “drunk redneck” who deserved it.
“I don’t know if I ever got to hit him or not,” Barkley said. “I would hope I did, but I don’t know if I did.”
Barkley, testifying in the lawsuit in which Jeb Tyler is seeking $550,000 from the NBA star, described a chaotic scene in which Tyler moved aggressively toward him.
The Houston Rockets forward said he pushed Tyler away and was grabbed by two people when Tyler began swinging at him.
“All hell broke loose, you understand that?” Barkley said. “I was swinging at him, he was swinging at me, then they dragged us away. That’s it.”
Tyler, a 24-year-old business equipment salesman from Spencerport, N.Y., has already testified that Barkley bloodied his face with punches during a July 7, 1996, melee in which he was trying to be a peacemaker.
Barkley, who had been in Cleveland with the U.S. Olympic basketball team, told police he was the one who was attacked.
Subscribe to the sports newsletter
Get the day’s top sports headlines and breaking news delivered to your inbox by subscribing here.