The family of an Everett girl who fell ill in 1993 after eating a Jack in the Box hamburger contaminated with E. coli bacteria reached a settlement with the fast-food chain’s parent just before the case was to go to a jury.
Closing arguments scheduled in U.S. District Judge Thomas Zilly’s court were canceled after the parties reached agreement Tuesday in the case of 9-year-old Alisha Stubblefield. Terms were not disclosed.
Some 90 cases have been settled with San Diego-based Foodmaker Inc. since the 1993 E. coli outbreak that killed three Washington children and sickened hundreds. Settlement amounts have ranged from $10,000 to $15.6 million.
The Stubblefield case would have been the first to go to a jury. The little girl became ill after eating at a Jack in the Box in Lynnwood. Her lawyers contend she still suffers from kidney problems.
Subscribe to the Coronavirus newsletter
Get the day’s latest Coronavirus news delivered to your inbox by subscribing to our newsletter.