SAN DIEGO – Padres left-hander David Wells cut his right wrist and left palm, apparently in an accident at home, and is expected to miss his next two starts.
General manager Kevin Towers said the 40-year-old Wells likely will be placed on the disabled list today. Wells wasn’t on the team flight Monday to Pittsburgh, where the Padres open a 12-game, four-city trip. Wells had been scheduled to start Saturday at Philadelphia.
Wells lost to the Chicago Cubs on Sunday, and apparently was hurt that night.
“It was not a fight,” Towers said. “It happened at his home. It sounds like he cut himself with some glass. How he did that, I don’t know.”
Towers said Wells received stitches in his right wrist and left palm.
Both Towers and Wells’ agent, Gregg Clifton, said they hadn’t been able to reach the pitcher by phone. Team Dr. Jan Fronek declined comment, citing privacy laws.
Towers was in the process of deciding which pitcher to call up from the minors to replace Wells.
“We can’t afford to go short-handed on this trip,” Towers said. “From what the doctors have told me, he should miss one start. He could make the second start, but it would be better if he has more time for the laceration to heal. I’m afraid that if he comes back too soon, he could irritate it.”
Local journalism is essential.
Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.
Subscribe to the sports newsletter
Get the day’s top sports headlines and breaking news delivered to your inbox by subscribing here.