Arrow-right Camera
The Spokesman-Review Newspaper
Spokane, Washington  Est. May 19, 1883

Dozens of vintage records, but does anyone want them?

Larry Cox King Features Syndicate

Q: I have dozens of old 78 rpm records by such artists as Patti Page, Dinah Shore and Frank Sinatra. Where can I sell them? — Mrs. J.W., Holmdel, N.J.

A: Good question. Finding anyone interested in 78 rpm records is getting harder and harder. There are three major reasons why this is so. First, most of the better vintage music has been transferred to either cassette tape or compact discs. Second, finding equipment to play the older records on is becoming almost impossible and, finally, 78 rpm discs are fragile and difficult to preserve and store. I wish I had better news for you, but suggest you donate your collection to a charity.


Q: I have an anvil that was used in a blacksmith shop in Mississippi at least a century ago. Who might be interested in it? — Steve, Buffalo, N.Y.

A: Dick Postman collects anvils and might be interested in the one that you have. His address is 10 Fisher Court, Berrien Springs, MI 49103. Although I have not seen it, Postman has written a reference book about the identification and values of vintage anvils.


Q: I would like to find the name of a dealer who might be interested in “Lady Delphine,” a Royal Doulton figurine that I own. — Delphine, Howell, Mich.

A: Sandy and Ed Seward are owners of Vintage Collectibles, a shop that specializes in Royal Doulton collectibles. Another excellent resource is the Royal Doulton International Collectors Club, 701 Cottontail Lane, Somerset, N.J. 08873.


Q: We have a pack of Camel cigarettes that has been in my family for years. Who can I contact to find out how much it might be worth? — Kyle, Copake, N.Y.

A: Mark Snozzi is a serious collector of tobacco memorabilia. His address is P.O. Box 102, Ashfield, MA 01330. For a second opinion, you can contact members of the Piedmont Tobacco and Memorabilia Club, 185 Moser Road, King, NC 27021.


Q: I inherited several hundred postcards. Most are of vacation destinations that are from the 1960s and ‘70s. Do you know where I might sell them? — Gwen, Willmar, Minn.

A: Postcard collecting is one of America’s favorite hobbies. Two of the better clubs are the Gateway Postcard Club, P.O. Box 28941, St. Louis, MO 63132; and the Wichita Postcard Club, P.O. Box 780282, Wichita, KS 67278. For a list of dealers, contact the International Federation of Postcard Dealers, Inc., P.O. Box 1765, Manassas, VA 20108.


Q: I have a designer’s hat that is dated 1939 and identified with a “Gone With the Wind” consumers protection label. I can’t seem to find out anything about it. — Joyce, Bradenton, Fla.

A: There are several “Gone With the Wind” experts who might be able to help you. J. Faye Bell is owner of Gone With the Wind Memories, 1701 South Alexander St., Suite 109, Plant City, Fla. 33566. Kenneth Nix is a serious collector. His address is 307 Rosewood Drive, Dublin, GA 31021. Another excellent resource is the Margaret Mitchell House and Museum, 990 Peachtree St., Atlanta, GA 30309.


Q: I have a set of dishes issued during Queen Elizabeth’s coronation in 1953. There are 64 pieces in the set, most in near-new condition. Whom can I contact to find out how much my china is worth? — Lena, Yorkton, Sask., Canada

A: Edward Sperling is a dealer specializing in British Royalty collectibles. He both buys and sells commemoratives, including items of china, glass, paper and silver. His address is 215 Beach Ave., Kennebunk, ME 04043. Anita Grashof also deals in British commemoratives. Her address is Stage House Village, 306 Park Ave., South Plains, NJ 07076.