Arrow-right Camera
The Spokesman-Review Newspaper

The Spokesman-Review Newspaper The Spokesman-Review

Spokane, Washington  Est. May 19, 1883
News >  Spokane

Colville man dies in motorcycle crash

Compiled from staff and wire reports The Spokesman-Review

A 39-year-old Colville man was killed Saturday night when he was thrown from his motorcycle, the Washington State Patrol said in a news release Sunday.

Shawn L. Owens was riding south on Reservation Road in Stevens County, about three miles north of Ford, when he left the roadway on a curve. The report said the cause of the accident was speed. Owens was wearing a helmet.

Owens was pronounced dead at the scene, the WSP said.

Geiger inmate clears razor wire, is recaptured

A female Geiger Corrections inmate apparently defeated newly installed razor wire Sunday evening, but got only 200 yards before she was stopped by a Spokane County Sheriff’s canine team, deputies said.

Christine L. Muyskens, 37, was being held at the corrections center on a prostitution charge. She tossed an item of fabric over the security fence at 6:12 p.m. and climbed over the razor wire, sheriff’s spokesman Cpl. Dave Reagan said in a news release.

Deputy Shawn Audie immediately summoned K-9 Deputy John Cook and his police dog, Ajax. The two tracked the female inmate about 200 yards and they found her hiding beneath brush.

Muyskens was treated for a puncture wound below her left knee, which resulted from her encounter with the dog. She likely will face a felony escape charge, Reagan said.

Since Aug. 30, eight inmates have either escaped from the center, been improperly released or run away from officers during transport, The Spokesman-Review reported in a June 11 article. In the most recent case, Jaymie C. Fowler and Amanda George went over a fence on June 8. George was quickly recaptured, but Fowler, 21, is missing. Fowler, who was serving time for assault, is white, 5 feet, 4 inches tall and 130 pounds with brown hair and brown eyes.

The day after her escape, new razor wire was installed.

Cashmere teenager killed in glider wreck

Wenatchee A teenage boy died when a glider aircraft crashed near an airport here, authorities said.

Theo Allen, 17, of Cashmere, was pronounced dead at the scene Saturday afternoon. He was piloting the single-seat glider and apparently had flown before, Douglas County Sheriff’s Detective Sgt. Dave Helvey said.

“We found a flight log book that showed … multiple previous flights,” Helvey told KPQ-AM.

Federal aviation officials were expected to investigate the cause of the crash.

5 rescued after boat sinks in Pacific

Ilwaco, Wash. The U.S. Coast Guard rescued five men Saturday after their boat sank in waters 13 miles west of this small Pacific County town along Highway 101.

The operator of the 26-foot Lotta Fun sent a distress signal to the Coast Guard in Astoria, Ore., around 8:45 a.m. The boat sank less than an hour later, forcing its occupants into the 48-degree water, Coast Guard officials said in a statement.

Everyone aboard was wearing a life jacket.

An HH-60 Jayhawk helicopter from Air Station Astoria and two 47-foot motor lifeboats from Coast Guard Station Cape Disappointment in Ilwaco assisted the rescue.

A rescue swimmer from the helicopter pulled two of the people from the water. The other three were picked up by one of the lifeboats.

The group was taken to Station Cape Disappointment to be evaluated and all were released.

Cause of the sinking was under investigation.

Body discovered off mountain road

Granite Falls, Wash. A body was discovered Saturday by two people in the Mount Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest in Snohomish County.

A man and a woman found the body around 2:30 p.m. in the Mount Pilchuck area, about 40 yards off the Mountain Loop Highway, sheriff’s Lt. Arnie Aljets said.

Investigators did not immediately know whether the body was that of a man or woman, nor did they know how long it had been in the area before the discovery.

The sheriff’s major crimes unit was investigating.

Additional information was not available.

Dempsey boxing gloves fetch $30,000

Billings, Mont. The autographed boxing gloves worn by Jack Dempsey in a 1923 heavyweight title fight in Shelby sold at auction Saturday for $30,000.

A physician from Seattle phoned in the winning bid, said auctioneer Dan Tryan. The buyer wanted to remain anonymous.

Inside the gloves, in faded writing, it says: “To my friend Lee Ford. Best wishes, Jack Dempsey.” The gloves, which Dempsey wore in his heavyweight title defense against Tommy Gibbons, were a gift to Ford, a Great Falls banker.

The gloves were auctioned Saturday along with other antiques collected by Rick Harpel of Olympia.

Harpel purchased the gloves for $36,500 at an auction of the estate of Montana historians Charles A. Bovey and Sue Bovey in Virginia City in 2000. Sue Bovey inherited the gloves from her father, Lee Ford.

Tryan started the bidding on the Dempsey gloves at $10,000.

The Spokesman-Review Newspaper

Local journalism is essential.

Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.

Active Person

Subscribe now to get breaking news alerts in your email inbox

Get breaking news delivered to your inbox as it happens.