Arrow-right Camera
The Spokesman-Review Newspaper
Spokane, Washington  Est. May 19, 1883

Two slain in house on South Hill

Two people were found shot to death Friday in a South Hill home, and the suspect remained at large despite an intensive search of the area and in downtown Spokane.

The suspect was identified as Travis Ault, born in 1988, said Sgt. Brad Arleth.

Police were called to 5203 S. Stone about 8:30 p.m. by a man who reported having been beaten there, said Spokane Police Lt. Gill Moberly. The assault victim fled the residence and called police from a neighbor’s house. The beating victim was hospitalized; his condition hadn’t been released early today. A neighbor told police a person with a baseball bat had been outside the home.

Police said the deceased were a man and woman. The victims’ names and their relationship were also not available early today, but neighbors said a mother and father lived in the home with two older children. Neighbors also said Ault was not a resident of the house.

Officers initially had to wait to enter the home because police were unsure if the shooter was inside. After determining the home was safe, they found both victims.

Police canvassed the neighborhood and used a tracking dog, but were unable to find Ault.

Neighbors said the south Spokane subdivision, built about five years ago, is usually a peaceful place. “It’s a really quiet, family neighborhood,” said Michelle Klein.

At 10:15 p.m. Friday, police found a car near Monroe between Second and Third linked to the double killing and took the driver to the Public Safety Building for questioning.

“The person driving the vehicle was on his way down to contact police,” Arleth said. Ault had been in the car, police said, but fled in the downtown area. Weapons were found in the car, and the driver indicated Ault was unarmed when he ran, Arleth said.

A few minutes after the car was found, half a dozen police cars converged at Monroe and Third. Officers using a tracking dog checked restaurants, bars, trash bins and alleys for Ault, and other police cars were stationed at intersections around the area. A concert by industrial-metal group Static-X had just gotten out at the Big Easy, and the flood of music fans complicated search efforts. The search for Ault was continuing early today.

Police ask anyone with information about Ault’s whereabouts to call 911.