Arrow-right Camera
The Spokesman-Review Newspaper
Spokane, Washington  Est. May 19, 1883

In brief: Molester accused of parole violation

The Spokesman-Review

A former Boy Scout counselor who admitted molesting several boys has been arrested, just a few weeks after his release on parole.

Officials with the Idaho Department of Correction’s Probation and Parole division arrested Bradley Stowell on Tuesday, accusing him of parole violations.

Department spokesman Jeff Ray said that Stowell was in possession – without permission – of a computer that had the capability to access the Internet.

Now Stowell will be expected to appear before the parole commission so the commission can decide if he should be returned to prison.

Juneau, Alaska

Second climber dies on McKinley

Officials at Denali National Park say a second person within a week has collapsed and died shortly after successful summits of Mount McKinley.

Park officials said 20-year-old Pungkas Tri Baruno, of Jakarta, Indonesia, died Monday night while descending the mountain.

On Friday, 51-year-old James Nasti, of Naperville, Ill., died at the summit.

Forsyth, Mont.

Rail line open at derailment site

A spokesman for BNSF Railway said it will take about a month to clean up spilled coal and other materials from a site where 10 coal cars and a locomotive derailed near Forsyth when ground beneath the tracks gave way.

One coal car and the locomotive were partially submerged in the Yellowstone River, which runs next to the tracks along Interstate 94.

BNSF spokesman Gus Melonas said Tuesday that all the derailed equipment has now been moved to higher ground.

He said a temporary track around the derailment site allowed train traffic to resume at about 8 a.m. Tuesday.

Melonas said the derailment spilled about 3 1/2 carloads of coal – approximately 385 tons – on the bank and into the Yellowstone River.

He did not know how much of the coal was spilled in the river.


Woman in canal was shot to death

A woman whose body was found in a canal near Sunnyside had been shot to death.

A Yakima County deputy coroner, Jack Hawkins, said Monday’s autopsy indicated she had been shot less than a week before her body was found Friday.

Officials are still trying to identify the woman, who appeared to be Hispanic, in her early 20s, about 5-foot-4, 120 pounds. She was wearing a black T-shirt, blue jean shorts, a silver watch, large hoop earrings and three rings on her right hand.


Man surrenders in abuse case

A 23-year-old man sought on an arrest warrant in the case of an abused and abandoned toddler has turned himself in to Pierce County authorities.

Pierce County sheriff’s spokesman Ed Troyer said Todd “TJ” Booth came to the Pierce County jail on Tuesday night and turned himself in. He was booked for investigation of second-degree assault of a child.

Investigators say the 18-month-old boy was assaulted and burned.

The child was dropped off at a hospital Sunday morning after he was left at a woman’s home.

Investigators say the boy’s mother is not considered a suspect in the abuse but could face child abandonment charges. The child is recovering and is now in state care.


Falcon chicks died from infection

A lab at Washington State University determined it was a bacterial brain infection that killed baby falcons in a closely watched nest atop the Washington Mutual Tower in downtown Seattle.

Three chicks were less than two weeks old in early June when they died one-by-one in front of viewers on a video camera.

The Seattle Times reports that researchers at the Washington Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory at WSU are using DNA testing to determine if the bacteria is a new strain. Falcons have nested on the 772-foot-tall WaMu building since 1994, and a video feed shows the nest to viewers in the bank lobby.