A Sprague Avenue business was evacuated Thursday after a worker dropped a glass vial and stomped on it before quickly leaving the building, according to the Spokane Fire Department.
Firefighters smelled a “pungent odor” upon arrival at 627 E. Sprague Ave. about 2:25 p.m., and several employees at the business felt sick, the fire department said.
Hazardous material crews collected samples but the substance has yet to be identified. Twenty-six employees were evaluated, and one was taken to a hospital, the fire department said.
Damage was limited to the carpet of the business. A portion was taken for further testing and as evidence.
Spokane police are investigating.
Subscribe to the Morning Review newsletter
Get the day’s top headlines delivered to your inbox every morning by subscribing to our newsletter.