Arrow-right Camera
The Spokesman-Review Newspaper

The Spokesman-Review Newspaper The Spokesman-Review

Spokane, Washington  Est. May 19, 1883
Clear Day 61° Clear
News >  Spokane

Short circuit believed cause of house fire

From Staff Reports

An electrical short circuit was cited as the possible cause of a house fire Monday morning that forced two men from their home in north Spokane.

Firefighters from nearby Station No. 15 were first on the scene of the 6 a.m. fire at 1640 E. Olympic Ave. and found smoke billowing from the attic and roof.

They quickly extinguished the fire. Both occupants got out safely, although they did not have a smoke detector, which is recommended.

Firefighters said the blaze appears to have started in a wall adjacent to an electrical panel and spread into the roof. Damage was estimated at $20,000.

The Spokesman-Review Newspaper

Local journalism is essential.

Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.

Active Person

Subscribe to the Coronavirus newsletter

Get the day’s latest Coronavirus news delivered to your inbox by subscribing to our newsletter.