Arrow-right Camera
The Spokesman-Review Newspaper

The Spokesman-Review Newspaper The Spokesman-Review

Spokane, Washington  Est. May 19, 1883
Clear Day 33° Clear
News >  Idaho Voices

Ranger says Farragut’s plant is 75 percent done

Herb Huseland Correspondent

Last week’s report from Boise revealed a $3 million sewer plant for Farragut State Park would be cut from the budget.

More recent information has come to light through Randall Butt, park manager, and his able second in command, Keith Jones.

It turns out that this project is about 75 percent complete, with only the remaining 25 percent being deferred to a more financially auspicious year. Butt explained: “The portions of the project on the ground or already started will be completed on schedule, probably by early next summer.

This includes the sewer lagoon, which is complete except for electricity hookups.

The new dump station is adjacent to Gilmore campground, Waldron campground, the Brig and Beaver Bay.

Excluded for now are the visitor center, park employee housing, Thimbleberry Locust Grove, Whitetail and Snowberry campgrounds, along with Eagle Landing and the east dump station.

State rules on marina

A lot is happening in the Bayview area this week, beginning with the surprise ruling by Idaho Department of Lands against Waterford Park regarding one of its three marinas.

Boileau’s Marina had requested a 50 percent privatization, as did Vista Bay, also owned by Bob Holland through Waterford Park.

While Vista Bay was approved, Boileau’s had different problems associated with its application. Several issues surrounded this project, beginning with inadequate parking and lack of clarity regarding shoreline rights. Also, some of the paperwork needed apparently wasn’t recorded, or wasn’t submitted in a timely manner. Many hours of hard work and some very good expertise by the Developmental Analysis Committee of the Bayview Chamber of Commerce was a key to the IDL getting all the facts from both sides.

For the complete finding of facts and rulings, go to Areas /PendOreille.htm.

Chamber gets new board

The Bayview Chamber of Commerce has a new board of directors, which was elected at the December meeting and took over in January. Heading the list: Bob Prince, former mayor of Hayden Lake, president; Cindy Post Grandy, editor of the chamber newsletter, vice president; Linda Williams, who has labored for several years as administrative assistant, secretary; and Jeanne Bjergo, co-owner with husband Scott of the Bayview Mercantile, treasurer. Board member at large is Donald “Bear” Rose.

All of these people are great choices for the coming term. George Grandy was retained by the chair as the developmental analysis committee chairperson. Other committees have yet to be constituted.

Contact correspondent Herb Huseland at Read his blog at
The Spokesman-Review Newspaper

Local journalism is essential.

Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.

Active Person

Subscribe to the Coronavirus newsletter

Get the day’s latest Coronavirus news delivered to your inbox by subscribing to our newsletter.