Arrow-right Camera

The Spokesman-Review Newspaper The Spokesman-Review

Tuesday, October 15, 2019  Spokane, Washington  Est. May 19, 1883
Partly Cloudy Day 57° Partly Cloudy
News >  Idaho

Driver lights cigarette near propane tank, torches car

A Coeur d’Alene man was hospitalized Friday after setting his car on fire in a motel parking lot.

Michael R. Brandt, 41, suffered burns and totaled his car after lighting a cigarette while inside the vehicle; a full propane tank sat in the passenger seat, police said.

Witnesses at the Cedar Motel, 316 Coeur d’Alene Lake Dr., pulled Brandt, 41, from his burning 1992 Lumina about 2:24 p.m.

Coeur d’Alene firefighters extinguished the blaze, and Brandt was transported to Kootenai Medical Center emergency room, where he was still being evaluated at 4:30 p.m.

Subscribe to the Morning Review newsletter

Get the day’s top headlines delivered to your inbox every morning by subscribing to our newsletter.

You have been successfully subscribed!
There was a problem subscribing you to the newsletter. Double check your email and try again, or email webteam@spokesman.com