Arrow-right Camera

The Spokesman-Review Newspaper The Spokesman-Review

Thursday, January 23, 2020  Spokane, Washington  Est. May 19, 1883
Rain 39° Rain
News >  Spokane

Man burned opening paint can with drill

Woman badly burned in separate incident

The Spokesman-Review

A Spokane man on the North Side learned the wrong way for getting spray paint out of a can.

Spokane fire officials said the man was seriously burned when he used a cordless drill to penetrate the can.

The contents of the pressurized can released suddenly, and a small spark from the drill ignited a flash fire, burning the man’s face. He was taken to Deaconess Medical Center for treatment, the fire department said.

The incident occurred on Saturday about 8 p.m. on the 1900 block of East Wellesley Avenue. The man’s name was not released. He is in his late 50s or early 60s.

In a separate incident, a Spokane woman suffered life-threatening burn injuries when she went into a backyard fire pit in the 1600 block of North Cook Street about 1:40 a.m. on Sunday.

The incident involving a second woman at the residence, who was not seriously injured, is under investigation, said Assistant Fire Chief Brian Schaeffer.

The burn victim was taken to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle, where she was reported in critical condition.

Subscribe to the Morning Review newsletter

Get the day’s top headlines delivered to your inbox every morning by subscribing to our newsletter.

You have been successfully subscribed!
There was a problem subscribing you to the newsletter. Double check your email and try again, or email