JERUSALEM – Israeli Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu told his Cabinet on Sunday that construction will continue in existing Jewish settlements in the occupied West Bank, despite a call by President Barack Obama for it to be stopped, according to an Israeli official.
Netanyahu has not commented publicly on the settlement issue since returning from meetings with Obama and other U.S. officials last week.
In briefing his Cabinet on those meetings, however, Netanyahu said he would not halt building or population growth in dozens of established settlements that house about 250,000 Israelis throughout the West Bank, the official said.
Israeli officials say they do intend to remove about two dozen unauthorized settlement outposts and will not establish new settlements. Palestinian officials consider both of those steps to be of marginal significance.
Local journalism is essential.
Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.
Subscribe to the Coronavirus newsletter
Get the day’s latest Coronavirus news delivered to your inbox by subscribing to our newsletter.