Arrow-right Camera

The Spokesman-Review Newspaper The Spokesman-Review

Sunday, August 18, 2019  Spokane, Washington  Est. May 19, 1883
Clear Day 65° Clear
News >  Spokane

Crew finds work waiting at fire station

Spokane Valley fire crews didn’t have far to go to put out a fire just after 11 p.m. Monday. It was in their own kitchen.

Crew members from Station 6 on the west end of Spokane Valley near Sprague Avenue and Interstate 90 were returning from a call when they heard a smoke alarm, said assistant fire marshal Bill Clifford. Black smoke and flames were spotted in the kitchen, and the crew put the fire out with a fire extinguisher. An additional crew was called in to help make sure the blaze was out.

The fire, which caused $5,000 damage, was traced to a malfunctioning dishwasher that had apparently been subject to a recall.

The fire had spread to the countertop before it was discovered. Fire crews moved to another station for the day while cleaning crews worked on carpets and furniture, Clifford said.

Subscribe to the Morning Review newsletter

Get the day’s top headlines delivered to your inbox every morning by subscribing to our newsletter.

You have been successfully subscribed!
There was a problem subscribing you to the newsletter. Double check your email and try again, or email webteam@spokesman.com