No poison was detected in meat found in a Spokane woman’s yard in the 900 block of East 36th Avenue on Monday, the Spokane Regional Animal Protection Service announced Thursday.
But strychnine, most likely from a gopher-control pesticide, was found in meatballs picked up last week in the 3300 block of East 55th Avenue and near Regal Street and the Palouse Highway.
The gopher bait was mixed with the meat, then cooked, likely producing the green substance that colored the meat. Use of the pesticide is restricted in Washington, but licensed dealers can sell to licensed buyers, according to SCRAPS.
A dog died Friday after eating a poisoned meatball found near Regal and the Palouse Highway. Two other dogs died in the 3300 block of East 55th, and officials found tainted meatballs down the street from the home.
Dog owners are urged to inspect their yards and keep their pets indoors, and the Humane Society of the United States is offering a reward of up to $2,500 for information that leads to an arrest.
Anyone with information is urged to call the SCRAPS emergency number, (509) 477-2533.
Subscribe to the Morning Review newsletter
Get the day’s top headlines delivered to your inbox every morning by subscribing to our newsletter.