Three men were airlifted from Moses Lake to Seattle’s Harborview Medical Center with severe burns after igniting a flash fire in a small garden shed Monday night.
They were reportedly using butane in an attempt to extract the psychoactive resin from marijuana, according to a news release from the Grant County Sheriff’s Office and the Grant County Emergency Management Department. That process can be used to make hash oil.
The injured men were identified as Jeffrey A. Beavin, 30, Ray A. Jones, 28, and Sean M. Jensen, 28, all of Moses Lake.
Butane accumulated in the shed and was ignited about 9 p.m. when one of the men went to light a cigarette in the shed adjacent to 4421 Airway Drive NE.
The Sheriff’s Office is continuing an investigation.
Local journalism is essential.
Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.
Subscribe to the Coronavirus newsletter
Get the day’s latest Coronavirus news delivered to your inbox by subscribing to our newsletter.