Arrow-right Camera
The Spokesman-Review Newspaper

The Spokesman-Review Newspaper The Spokesman-Review

Spokane, Washington  Est. May 19, 1883
Cloudy 35° Cloudy
News >  Idaho

Sun and highs in 60s slipping away by weekend

Sun and high temperatures in the 60s will continue through the remainder of the work week, and forecasters are now saying Sunday will bring a strong Pacific storm with rain and wind. Air quality this morning was improved over Tuesday morning, but remained in the moderate category with wood smoke and dust the main pollutants. The high pressure that’s been in control of the weather in recent days will slowly give way to a strong low and accompanying jet stream off the Pacific Ocean. The National Weather Service today has issued a hazardous weather outlook for the mountains of the region, including the Cascades, for deteriorating weather beginning on Thursday with chances of breezy to windy conditions and light snow, initially at 5,000 feet and above. The first of two storm impulses are not expected to hit the Inland Northwest with any strength, but the third storm shot on Sunday is likely to bring potentially heavy rainfall. Clouds will begin to gather on Friday with a 20 percent chance of rain arriving by nightfall. Saturday has a 30 percent chance of rain, rising to 70 percent on Saturday night and Sunday. The highs on Saturday and Sunday should be in the upper 50s. Lows should go from the upper 30s to middle 40s through the period. Once the main storm system passes, cooler air from the north combined with potential showers may bring snow as low as 3,500 to 4,000 feet in elevation early next week. Today, fog is once again causing problems in outlying valley areas, especially near lakes and rivers where water is warmer than the air. Fog should dissipate later this morning as the low-angle October sun begins to warm the air. At 7 a.m., it was 36 at Spokane International Airport and Felts Field, 37 in Coeur d’Alene, 33 in Deer Park and 43 in Pullman.
The Spokesman-Review Newspaper

Local journalism is essential.

Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.

Active Person

Subscribe to the Coronavirus newsletter

Get the day’s latest Coronavirus news delivered to your inbox by subscribing to our newsletter.