• Greenwood Memorial Terrace open house. 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. An Andrews Sisters Tribute Show will take place at noon and 1:30 p.m. in the chapel to honor Bob Hope and the USO. In addition, there will be displays honoring military veterans, aerospace and vintage car displays, a Tree of Remembrance and refreshments. Heritage Funeral Home, 508 N. Government Way, Spokane. (509) 838-8900.
• Memorial Day ceremony, Hayden. Begins at 10 a.m. with the laying of a memorial wreath at Honeysuckle Beach, honoring servicemen and servicewomen lost at sea. The main ceremony begins at 11 a.m. at the Pfc. Robert J. Gordon Veranis Memorial Plaza at Hayden City Hall. The ceremony will include music, speeches, a rifle salute and the Tolling of the Boats. Attending the ceremony as special guests of the city will be Pfc. Robert J. Gordon’s family, Congressional Medal of Honor recipient Vernon J. Baker’s family, and Pearl Harbor survivor Fred Hamelrath and his wife. Refreshments will be served in the council chambers following the ceremonies. Hayden City Hall, 8930 N. Government Way, Hayden. (208) 209-2027.
• Memorial Day ceremony, North Spokane. Conducted by the Melvin M. Smith Detachment of the Marine Corps League, along with Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 51. Guest speaker will be local TV news anchor Randy Shaw. The program begins at 11 a.m. and will conclude at noon with the raising of the flag to full staff and the singing of “God Bless the U.S.A.” In the event of inclement weather, the ceremony will move to the cemetery’s Sunset Chapel. After the ceremony, lunch will be available at VFW Post 51, 300 W. Mission Ave., for $7. Fairmount Memorial Park, Iwo Jima Memorial, 5200 W. Wellesley Ave., Spokane. (509) 998-9031.
• Memorial Day and gate rededication observance, Fairfield. The ceremony will honor the 28 veterans interred at this small country cemetery and rededicate the restored antique gates that were placed at the cemetery about 1895. Representatives of Veterans of Foreign Wars and Ladies Auxiliary, Rockford Post 7815, will place a wreath at the flagpole. Veterans in attendance will be introduced, and the names of veterans interred at the cemetery will be read. The event begins at 10 a.m. in Fairfield Cemetery, two miles east of Fairfield on Truax Road, Fairfield. (949) 675-3954.
• Memorial Day services, Post Falls. 11 a.m. Evergreen Cemetery, 2834 N. Spokane St., Post Falls. (208) 292-2314.
• Memorial Day program, Washington State Veterans Cemetery. Begins at 11 a.m. Parking will be available along Ritchey Road, and there will be shuttle service from off-site parking lots at Northern Quest Resort & Casino, Medical Lake High School and Denny’s Foods. Groups are encouraged to carpool. The program will take place outdoors, so bring a hat or umbrella depending on the weather. Seating is limited, so bring a blanket or chair. Washington State Veterans Cemetery, north of West Medical Lake off West Espanola Road, Medical Lake. (509) 299-6280.
Subscribe to the Morning Review newsletter
Get the day’s top headlines delivered to your inbox every morning by subscribing to our newsletter.