TOLEDO, Ohio (AP) — Police in Ohio say the deaths of five people, including three children, do not appear to be accidental.
Toledo police spokesman Joe Heffernan said all of the bodies were found in a garage Monday afternoon. He said firefighters had to use equipment to break into the garage at a Toledo home.
Investigators think all five may have died from carbon monoxide poisoning.
Heffernan said officers were called to check on those inside the house after getting a call from a concerned family member.
Lucas County coroner, Dr. James Patrick, told The (Toledo) Blade that the five dead are a 56-year-old woman, her grandchildren, ages 10, 7, and 5, and a 32-year-old man, who is an uncle of one of the children.
Police released no further details.
Local journalism is essential.
Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.
Subscribe now to get breaking news alerts in your email inbox
Get breaking news delivered to your inbox as it happens.