The Gonzaga men’s and women’s cross country teams both finished second to Lipscomb at the Runners Soul Erik Anderson Invitational Saturday at Plantes Ferry Park in Spokane.
Gonzaga senior Robert Walgren, running unattached, took third place after covering the 8,000-meter course in 25 minutes, 43.68 seconds.
GU’s Kyle Branch was fourth (25:46.41) and Troy Fraley was 10th (25:59.06).
The Whitworth men took 15th and Community Colleges of Spokane was 16th.
Lauren Bergam led the GU women. She took fourth place after covering the 5,000-meter course in 21:56.94.
Also for the Bulldogs, Maggie Jones was eighth (22:29.93), Taylor Cherry was ninth (22:31.25) and Amelia Evans was 10th (22:34.52).
Washington State took third place. Cougar freshman Steffie Pavey was 20th overall in 23:21.67.
The Whitworth women, led by Christina Williams, won the Division III race. Williams won in 22:53.38 and teammate Kellyn Roiko crossed in 23:07.73 to take third.
In the smaller division, Community Colleges of Spokane’s Jessica Mildes was second in 22:27.45.
• The Eastern Washington men had four top-20 runners – led by Chris Schroll, who took 10th – and the Eagles took second place at the Montana State Invitational at Bridger Creek Golf Course in Bozeman.
Schroll covered the five-mile course in 25:58.
Sarah Reiter led the EWU women with a time of 18:08 in the three-mile women’s race. She finished 18th overall.
Kristina Graven led three players in double figures with 18 kills to lead Saint Mary’s (6-4, 2-0) past Gonzaga in a West Coast Conference match in Moraga, Calif. Set scores were 25-20, 25-21, 20-25, 25-22.
Savannah Blinn paced the Bulldogs (4-7, 0-2) with 16 kills and Kathleen Wright added 14 digs.
• Kataleya Milan had 20 kills and 25 digs as Lewis & Clark (2-6, 1-1) edged Whitworth in a Northwest Conference match in Spokane.
Set scores were 23-25, 14-25, 25-15, 25-23 and 22-20.
Kristine Kardell had 17 kills and Jalana White added 15 kills and 13 digs for the Pirates (7-7, 1-1).
• Community Colleges of Spokane (14-6) beat Clark and Whatcom at the Clackamas Crossover Tournament in Oregon City, Ore.
Sam Engle scored in the 53rd minute and Whitworth (3-1-1, 1-0) held on to secure a 1-0 win over Linfield (3-2, 0-1) in a Northwest Conference opener in McMinnville, Ore.
Pirates’ keeper Shane Nishioka-Healy made five saves.
• Chris Donich scored in the 23rd minute and Community Colleges of Spokane (6-0-2, 2-0-1) held on to shut out Whatcom (1-3-1, 1-2) 1-0 in an NWAACC match at Spokane Falls Community College.
Whitworth (4-2-1, 1-1-1) and Lewis & Clark (4-1-1, 1-0-1) played to a 1-1 draw in a Northwest Conference match in Portland, Ore.
The Pirates’ Tiara Pajimola scored an unassisted goal in the 21st minute, but the Pioneers’ Anna Thorndike tied the match with an unassisted goal of her own early in the second half.
Whitworth keeper Andrea Stump made 12 saves.
• Community Colleges of Spokane’s Rashelle Fisher scored in the 30th minute and the Sasquatch (4-0-3, 2-0-2) played to a 1-1 draw with Whatcom (3-1-2, 2-0-2) in an NWAACC contest at Spokane Falls Community College.
• North Idaho and Eastern Oregon played to a 1-1 draw in a nonconference match in La Grande, Ore.
Hank Hilts scored twice to guide the host Castlegar Rebels past the Spokane Braves 7-2 in a KIJHL game.
Subscribe to the sports newsletter
Get the day’s top sports headlines and breaking news delivered to your inbox by subscribing here.