Arrow-right Camera

The Spokesman-Review Newspaper The Spokesman-Review

Sunday, November 17, 2019  Spokane, Washington  Est. May 19, 1883
Clear Night 42° Clear
News >  Idaho

Fugitive found dead after SWAT standoff in Coeur d’Alene

From Staff Reports

A violent fugitive who barricaded himself inside a Coeur d’Alene house Saturday night was found dead when a SWAT team entered the residence Sunday morning. The Coeur d’Alene Police Department did not disclose how John David Crispin, 37, died.

Crispin fired at least one round from a gun about 3:30 a.m. Sunday, and officers returned fire, police spokeswoman Sgt. Christie Wood said. No officers were injured in the exchange.

Crispin was wanted on four warrants involving allegations of violent crimes, police said. He was wanted in Benewah County for assault, battery, drugs, unlawful possession of a firearm and felony eluding. He also was wanted in Salt Lake City for assault with a dangerous weapon. He was wanted by the U.S. Marshals Service for aggravated battery, aggravated assault, attempt to injure with a weapon and eluding, and by U.S. Probation and Pretrial Services for a probation violation of felon in possession of a firearm.

In October, the North Idaho Violent Crimes Task Force was searching for Crispin after he fled from police near Plummer. He allegedly fled from Coeur d’Alene Tribal Police and tried to run over an officer with a vehicle. During a subsequent foot chase, Crispin reportedly fired shots at officers.

The weekend standoff was in the 7000 block of Quincy Court in the Landings subdivision in northwest Coeur d’Alene. About 8:30 p.m. Saturday, Crispin’s ex-wife left her house and contacted police, saying Crispin was inside her residence armed with a gun and had made statements that he would not leave or cooperate with police.

Officers set up a perimeter around the house and notified nearby neighbors of the armed standoff. Officers attempted to contact Crispin by phone and bullhorn. A SWAT team from the police department and Kootenai County Sheriff’s Office responded and also attempted to make contact with Crispin, who would not communicate with them.

The multiagency Critical Incident Task Force took over the investigation. The street in front of the residence remained closed Sunday as detectives completed their investigation.

Subscribe to the Morning Review newsletter

Get the day’s top headlines delivered to your inbox every morning by subscribing to our newsletter.

You have been successfully subscribed!
There was a problem subscribing you to the newsletter. Double check your email and try again, or email