The Department of Defense says two servicemen died from wounds suffered during an attack in Afghanistan.
Officials said Sunday that U.S. Army Spc. Wyatt J. Martin, of Mesa, Arizona, and Sgt. 1st Class Ramon S. Morris, of New York, New York, died Friday in Parwan Province, Afghanistan. The vehicle the men were in was attacked with an improvised explosive device.
The 22-year-old Martin and the 37-year-old Morris were assigned to the 3rd Engineer Battalion, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division, Fort Hood, Texas.
Rare white rhino dies in U.S. zoo
SAN DIEGO – A northern white rhinoceros that zoo officials said was only one of six left in the world died Sunday at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park.
Angalifu, who was about 44 years old, apparently died of old age.
“Angalifu’s death is a tremendous loss to all of us,” safari park curator Randy Rieches said in a statement. “Not only because he was well beloved here at the park but also because his death brings this wonderful species one step closer to extinction.”
His death leaves only one northern white rhino at the zoo, one at a zoo in the Czech Republic and three in a preserve in Kenya.
Just last week, preservationists at the Old Pejeta animal sanctuary in Kenya conceded that their one male and two female northern white rhinos will not reproduce naturally. The animals were flown from the Czech zoo to the Kenyan conservancy in December 2009 in hopes the natural environment could be easier for them to breed there than in captivity.
Efforts will now be made to keep the species alive through in vitro fertilization.
Dozens hospitalized after gas leak at rink
LAKE DELTON, Wis. – Authorities on Sunday blamed an ice resurfacing machine for a suspected carbon monoxide leak that sent dozens of people to hospitals after a junior hockey game at a Wisconsin rink.
At least 81 people were treated for symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning after the leak was discovered Saturday at Poppy Waterman Ice Rink in Lake Delton.
Delton Fire Chief Darren Jorgenson told the Star Tribune of Minneapolis the carbon monoxide was coming from one of the rink’s two propane-fueled resurfacing machines. Jorgenson said the machine “wasn’t fully combusting the propane,” and the ventilation system was unable to offset the problem.
Only one person was known to still be receiving treatment Sunday. One Ducks player was getting oxygen therapy at a hyperbaric chamber in Milwaukee, the Minnesota Junior Hockey League said.
Montana baby’s birth date, time align
BILLINGS – The time and date aligned for a baby girl born in Montana, and the infant’s weight came close to making the event even more unique.
Quincy Kessler was born at St. Vincent Healthcare in Billings at 10:11 a.m. on 12/13/14.
Even more remarkable, her birth weight, at 7.84 pounds, almost aligned with the other numbers. A fraction of an ounce more, and she would have weighed 7.89 pounds.
The baby is the second daughter born to Trenton and Melida Kessler.
Local journalism is essential.
Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.
Subscribe to the Coronavirus newsletter
Get the day’s latest Coronavirus news delivered to your inbox by subscribing to our newsletter.