BAGHDAD (AP) — Iraqi officials in Anbar province say at least 50 tribesmen and women have been lined up and shot dead by Islamic State group militants.
Anbar councilman Faleh al-Issawi said Saturday that the people were killed in the village of Ras al-Maa, north of the provincial capital of Ramadi.
He says the militant group accused the people of retaliating against them after they were displaced from their homes when the group seized the Anbar town of Hit last month.
An official in the Anbar governor’s office confirmed the death toll. He spoke on condition of anonymity as he is not authorized to brief journalists.
This is the latest mass killing carried out by the Islamic State group, which has killed civilians, security personnel and minorities in its advance across Iraq and Syria.
Local journalism is essential.
Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.
Subscribe now to get breaking news alerts in your email inbox
Get breaking news delivered to your inbox as it happens.