Arrow-right Camera
The Spokesman-Review Newspaper

The Spokesman-Review Newspaper The Spokesman-Review

Spokane, Washington  Est. May 19, 1883
Partly Cloudy Day 52° Partly Cloudy
News >  Idaho

Violent fugitive dead in Coeur d’Alene standoff

John David Crispin
John David Crispin
A violent fugitive who barricaded himself inside a Coeur d’Alene house Saturday night was found dead when a SWAT team entered the residence this morning. The Coeur d’Alene Police Department has not yet disclosed how John David Crispin, 37, died. Crispin fired at least one round from a gun about 3:30 this morning, and officers returned fire, police spokeswoman Sgt. Christie Wood said today. No officers were injured in the exchange. Crispin was wanted on four warrants involving violent crimes, police said. He was wanted in Benewah County for assault, battery, drugs, unlawful possession of a firearm and felony eluding. He also was wanted in Salt Lake City for assault with a dangerous weapon. He was wanted by the U.S. Marshals Service for aggravated battery, aggravated assault, attempt to injure with a weapon, and eluding, and by U.S. Probation and Pretrial Services for a probation violation of felon in possession of a firearm. In October the North Idaho Violent Crimes Task Force was searching for Crispin after he fled from police near Plummer, Idaho. He allegedly fled from Coeur d’Alene Tribal Police and tried to run an officer over with a vehicle. During a subsequent foot chase, Crispin reportedly fired shots at officers. This weekend’s standoff was in the 7000 block of Quincy Court in the Landings subdivision in northwest Coeur d’Alene. About 8:30 p.m. Saturday Crispin’s ex-wife left the house and contacted police, saying Crispin was inside her residence armed with a gun and had made statements he would not leave or cooperate with police. Officers set up a perimeter around the house and notified nearby neighbors of the armed standoff. Officers attempted to contact Crispin by phone and bullhorn. A SWAT team from the police department and Kootenai County Sheriff’s Office responded and also attempted to make contact with Crispin, who would not communicate with them. The multi-agency Critical Incident Task Force took over the investigation. The street in front of the residence remains closed as detectives complete their investigation.
The Spokesman-Review Newspaper

Local journalism is essential.

Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.

Active Person

Subscribe now to get breaking news alerts in your email inbox

Get breaking news delivered to your inbox as it happens.