Four members were added to the Idaho Athletic Hall of Fame at the 53rd North Idaho Sports banquet Saturday.
Orlando Lightfoot, Van Troxel, Mindy (Rice) Madsen and the late Bob ‘Marz’ Marzulli were inducted.
Troxel just finished his 36th year coaching high school football. He founded the program at Lake City High, where he’s coached 21 years. Lightfoot played basketball at the University of Idaho and is the school’s all-time leading scorer. Madsen was a basketball and volleyball standout at Idaho. And Marzulli, who died in 2011 at age 77, is largely considered the key cog in forming youth athletic programs in St. Maries.
The college and high school award winners for North Idaho also were announced. Here they are:
• North Idaho coach of the year: Brandon Rita, Lewis Clark State College men’s basketball.
• North Idaho team of the year: LCSC men’s basketball.
• Male athlete of the year: Connor Hill, Idaho basketball; Taylor Kornoely, North Idaho College wrestling.
• Female athlete of the year: Chelsey Leighton, LCSC track and field.
• Boys tennis: Vince Hewett, Lewiston.
• Girls tennis: Christine Sayler, Lewiston.
• Boys golf: Derek Bayley, Lakeland.
• Girls golf: Jesse Gibbons, Kellogg.
• Boys swimming: Ethan Cordes, Coeur d’Alene.
• Girls swimming: Nicole Rozier, CdA.
• Baseball: Nick Nyquist, CdA.
• Softball: Breana Burke, CdA.
• Boys cross country: Jake Finney, Lake City.
• Girls cross country: Kara Story, CdA; Josie Brown, CdA.
• Boys soccer: Jake Barrett, LC.
• Girls soccer: Corinne Ariss, Sandpoint.
• Wrestling (5A-4A): Bryce Parson, Lewiston; Seth McLeod, Post Falls.
• Wrestling (31-1A): Blake Ivie, Kellogg.
• Volleyball (5A-4A): Megan Ramseyer, CdA.
• Volleyball (3A-1A): Abbey Blum, Troy.
• Boys track and field (5A-4A): Alex Lewis, Moscow; Jerry Louie-McGee, LC.
• Boys track and field (3A-1A): Paul Ryan, Logos.
• Girls track and field (5A-4A): Maddison Ward, LC.
• Girls track and field (3A-1A): Kaleala Bass, Grangeville.
• Boys basketball (5A-4A): Tyrel Derrick, Lakeland.
• Boys basketball (3A-1A): Rhett Schlader, Prairie.
• Girls basketball (5A-4A): Emilee Schlader, Lewiston.
• Girls basketball (3A-1A): Iris Domebo, Lapwai.
• Football (5A-4A): Jerry Louie-McGee, LC.
• Football (3A-1A): Jake Bruner, Prairie.
• Male athlete of the year (5A-4A): Tyrel Derrick, Lakeland.
• Male athlete of the year (3A-1A): Jake Bruner, Prairie.
• Female athlete of the year (5A-4A): Emilee Schlader, Lewiston.
• Female athlete of the year (3A-1A): Krystin Uhlenkott, Prairie.
• Male team of the year (5A-4A): Post Falls wrestling, Post Falls basketball.
• Male team of the year (3A-1A): Prairie football.
• Female team of the year (5A-4A): Coeur d’Alene cross country.
• Female team of the year (3A-1A): Lapwai basketball.
• Male coach of the year (5A-4A): Mike McLean, Post Falls basketball.
• Male coach of the year (3A-1A): Teel Bruner, Prairie basketball.
• Female coach of the year (5A-4A): Matt Brass, Sandpoint cross country.
• Female coach of the year (3A-1A): Cheyenne Hudson, Prairie volleyball.
Local journalism is essential.
Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.
Subscribe to the sports newsletter
Get the day’s top sports headlines and breaking news delivered to your inbox by subscribing here.