Arrow-right Camera
The Spokesman-Review Newspaper
Spokane, Washington  Est. May 19, 1883

Triple-murder suspect Roy Murry faces more charges


Triple-murder suspect Roy Murry shot three relatives and then waited 90 minutes in the hope of killing his estranged wife, too, according to new court documents that paint a chilling picture of an unfinished plot.

Murry’s sister Laura Murry told investigators that she was so afraid of her brother in the period leading up to the killings that she hid his guns.

He got them back, including a Walther .22-caliber pistol that he stands accused of using to kill his mother-in-law, Lisa Canfield, her husband, Terry Canfield, and Lisa Canfield’s son, John Constable.

Prosecutors say Murry then waited at the home along Chattaroy Road north of Spokane for his wife to return from an evening nursing shift at a local hospital.

Neighbors reported hearing gunshots at about 12:30 a.m. on May 26. One drove by more than an hour later and said she didn’t notice anything amiss.

Then at 2:05 a.m. firefighters were called to the property, where they found the home and outbuilding ablaze. Later they found the bodies, two of which were badly burned.

Prosecutors have added new charges of attempted murder and arson against Murry, who remains jailed on a $3 million bond.

Canfield family friend Kelly Tellez said she is glad that the prosecutor’s office is pursuing the case aggressively.

“We all support the prosecutors and detectives who have worked so hard on this,” she said.

Tellez also revealed for the first time that Terry Canfield was recovering from surgery on his right shoulder in the days before his death.

“He was in a sling and a recliner,” she said of Terry Canfield, who was right-handed. “Roy was aware of the (surgery) schedule.”

Police found a hard-sided gun case with one pistol inside in the back of Murry’s car when they arrested him. A second gun Murry kept in the case, according to his sister, has not been found. The three victims were all shot multiple times with a .22-caliber weapon.

Another family friend told police that Lisa Canfield expressed concern about a month before the shootings about Murry’s “delusions” and that he might hurt her family, according to court documents.

A former friend of Murry’s said that Murry routinely carried cans of gas in his car so “the government would not be able to locate him or know where he had been by examining his purchases or his card usage.”

No gas cans were found in Murry’s vehicle, but 20 gas cans were recovered from the Chattaroy Road location.

Selina Blimka, an employee of Cafe De Vape in Clarkston, told police that Murry was a regular customer.

She said he came in on May 26 or 27 and gave her a large shipping box containing the chemical firestarter Trioxane.

He suggested she give it away, according to court documents.

Police also found Trioxane in Murry’s storage unit in Pullman.

Blimka also told police that Murry had asked her if she was familiar with a fire on a certain road. She hadn’t yet heard about it.

He then told her “with a smirk,” according to the new court documents, that he knew who did it but could not tell her.