The cause of a two-alarm apartment fire in Spokane Valley last month appears to have been caused by a recessed light in the ceiling of an apartment, said Spokane Valley Fire Department Assistant Fire Marshal Bill Clifford.
Insulation had built up around the light and it couldn’t vent like it was designed to do, said Clifford.
A man sleeping in a third-floor apartment at 12623 E. Broadway Ave. awoke to find his apartment on fire the afternoon of Feb. 25 and sustained minor burns when he attempted to put it out with a fire extinguisher. Firefighters were able to rescue two cats from the fire, one of which had to be resuscitated.
Several apartments sustained an estimated $100,000 in damage.
Other calls from Feb. 23 to March 8:
Feb. 25: A fire caused by improperly disposed of cigarette ashes caused $5,000 in damage to the University East Apartments at 11009 E. Third Ave.
Feb. 27: Combustible fibers caught fire at Pyrotek at 3808 N. Sullivan Road, Building 27, around 1 p.m. An employee suffered smoke inhalation when he tried to put the fire out. A car hit a fire hydrant in the 15500 block of East 22nd Avenue.
March 1: A malfunctioning water heater started a fire that caused $50,000 in damage to a home in the 3000 block of South Bates Road.
March 2: A heat lamp placed too close to combustibles caught a shed doubling as a chicken coop on fire in the 7100 block of North Bessie Road.
March 3: A car crashed through a fence in the 2600 block of South Evergreen Road shortly after midnight. The driver sustained serious injuries.
By the numbers: There were 575 calls for service from Feb. 23 to March 8, including 463 calls for emergency medical responses. Other calls included 18 illegal yard waste fires, one vehicle fire, four people locked out of their vehicle and one instance where an engine crew that had stopped to get coffee followed two suspected shoplifters for several blocks until police arrived.
Local journalism is essential.
Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.
Subscribe to the Coronavirus newsletter
Get the day’s latest Coronavirus news delivered to your inbox by subscribing to our newsletter.