Arrow-right Camera
The Spokesman-Review Newspaper

The Spokesman-Review Newspaper The Spokesman-Review

Spokane, Washington  Est. May 19, 1883
Fog 29° Fog
News >  Spokane

Second teenager sentenced to 16 years for role in veteran’s death

The second teenager accused of killing World War II veteran Delbert “Shorty” Belton in the summer of 2013 received a 16-year prison sentence that draws to a close a case that sparked community outrage and garnered national attention.

Demetruis Glenn, 17, pleaded guilty to first-degree murder earlier this month.

He and friend Kenan Adams-Kinard, 17, were accused of beating Belton during a strong-arm robbery as Belton sat in his parked car at the Eagles Lodge in north Spokane in August 2013. Belton, 88, later died from his injuries.

Adams-Kinard received a 20-year sentence earlier this year.

Family and friends of the slain veteran spoke about the pain Shorty’s death caused in their community during a somber court hearing Thursday. But they left court with one small victory: Glenn’s attorney, Christian Phelps, said the claim that Belton dealt crack, made in a letter attributed to Adams-Kinard, was not true and was never part of Glenn’s defense.

“Today, we can put that to rest,” said Steve Belton, Belton’s nephew. “It’s on the record now.”

John Erp, a service officer for Disabled American Veterans in Eastern Washington, spoke of Belton’s military service, including his survival of the Battle of Okinawa – one of the bloodiest battles of World War II.

“What Shorty did not survive was a brutal beating by attackers who stole his life, then tried to besmirch his character,” Erp said. He said the attackers deserved to be “taken off the very streets that Shorty Belton fought so hard to keep free.”

Martha Denison, a friend of Belton’s, addressed Glenn directly.

“I say a prayer for you and your friend every night: that I can get over it and you can get over it,” she said, fighting back tears.

Glenn said only, “No thank you, ma’am,” when asked if he would like to speak. Before the hearing, he wrote a letter to the court saying one of the reasons he took the plea deal was so that the Belton family would not have to sit through a trial.

Steve Belton said though he wanted to see Glenn go on trial, he was glad to have some closure.

“It’s not what we hoped for. I think the police and the prosecutors are working with one hand tied behind their back, but they’ve done their job,” he said, adding that the family is immensely grateful to law enforcement for their work on the case.

Spokane County Superior Court Judge Annette Plese followed a joint recommendation for the 16-year sentence. The lower end of the standard sentencing range for first-degree murder is 20 years.

Attorneys for both sides said the recommendation took into account the fact that Glenn turned himself in to police.

Phelps, Glenn’s defense attorney, said physical evidence suggested Glenn was present at the scene of the murder, but did not participate in the beating that killed Belton.

“Your accountability in this case is a little less than Mr. Kinard’s,” Plese said before handing down the sentence.

Glenn was ordered to pay about $6,000 in fines and restitution.

After the sentencing, Erp said he’s gotten regular calls from veterans asking about Belton’s case.

“When one of us dies, a little bit of all of us dies,” he said.

The Spokesman-Review Newspaper

Local journalism is essential.

Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.

Active Person

Subscribe to the Coronavirus newsletter

Get the day’s latest Coronavirus news delivered to your inbox by subscribing to our newsletter.