Will Grier threw four first-half touchdown passes to four receivers and No. 25 Florida upset third-ranked Mississippi (4-1, 2-1 SEC) 38-10 on Saturday night to give coach Jim McElwain a signature win in his first season in Gainesville, Florida.
The redshirt freshman battled a stomach virus for two days before the game but completed 24 of 29 passes for 271 yards for the Gators (5-0, 3-0).
(1) Ohio State 34, Indiana 27: Ezekiel Elliott rushed for three second-half scores and a career-best 274 yards to help the Buckeyes (5-0, 1-0 Big Ten) survive in Bloomington, Indiana, over the Hoosiers (4-1, 0-1).
(2) Michigan State 24, Purdue 21: LJ Scott ran for 146 yards and two touchdowns, and the Spartans (5-0, 1-0 Big Ten) held on against the Boilermakers (1-4, 0-1) through a lackluster second half in East Lansing, Michigan.
(4) TCU 50, Texas 7: Trevone Boykin threw five touchdown passes, including four to freshman KaVontae Turpin, and the Horned Frogs (5-0, 2-0 Big 12) hammered the Longhorns (1-4, 0-2) in Fort Worth, Texas.
(5) Baylor 63, Texas Tech 35: Seth Russell passed for 286 yards and four touchdowns and ran for two more scores, Shock Linwood ran for a career-high 221 yards and two touchdowns and the Bears (4-0, 1-0 Big 12) routed the Red Raiders (3-2, 0-2) in Arlington, Texas.
(6) Clemson 24, (12) Notre Dame 22: Deshaun Watson threw for two touchdowns, ran for a third and the Tigers’ (4-0) defense stopped DeShone Kizer on a tying two-point conversion in the final minuate as the Tigers held on to beat the Fighting Irish (4-1) in Clemson, South Carolina.
(9) LSU 44, Eastern Michigan 22: Leonard Fournette ran for 233 yards and the Tigers (4-0) overcame the Eagles (1-4) in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
(13) Alabama 38, (8) Georgia 10: Jake Coker ran the offense to perfection, the defense turned in a dominating performance and the Crimson Tide (4-1, 1-1 SEC) even got a touchdown from its special teams in a rout of the Bulldogs (4-1, 2-1) in Athens, Georgia.
(11) Florida State 24, Wake Forest 16: Dalvin Cook had a 94-yard touchdown run before leaving with a left leg injury and the Seminoles (4-0, 2-0 ACC) held on to beat the Demon Deacons (2-3, 0-2) in Winston-Salem, North Carolina.
(14) Texas A&M 30, (21) Mississippi State 17: Kyle Allen threw for 322 yards and two touchdowns to help the Aggies (5-0, 2-0 SEC) best the Bulldogs (3-2, 1-2) in College Station, Texas.
(15) Oklahoma 44, (23) West Virginia 24: Baker Mayfield passed for 320 yards and three touchdowns, the Sooners defense recorded seven sacks and forced five turnovers and Oklahoma (4-0, 1-0 Big 12) beat the Mountaineers (3-1, 0-1) in Norman, Oklahoma.
(16) Northwestern 27, Minnesota 0: Clayton Thorson scored two touchdowns, Justin Jackson ran for 120 yards and the Wildcats (5-0, 1-0 Big Ten) defense dominated the Golden Gophers (3-2, 0-1) in Evanston, Illinois.
Iowa 10, (19) Wisconsin 6: Jordan Canzeri ran for 125 yards and the Hawkeyes (5-0, 1-0 Big Ten) took advantage of four turnovers by Badgers (3-2, 0-1) quarterback Joel Stave to win in Madison, Wisconsin.
(20) Oklahoma State 36, Kansas State 34: Ben Grogan made a 37-yard field goal with 32 seconds remaining to lift the Cowboys (5-0, 2-0 Big 12) past the Wildcats (3-1, 0-1) in Stillwater, Oklahoma.
(22) Michigan 28, Maryland 0: The Wolverines’ (4-1, 1-0 Big Ten) defense held the Terrapins (2-3, 0-1) to 105 yards and picked off three passes in College Park, Maryland.
Local journalism is essential.
The journalists of The Spokesman-Review are a part of the community. They live here. They work here. They care. You can help keep local journalism strong right now with your contribution. Thank you.
Subscribe to the sports newsletter
Get the day’s top sports headlines and breaking news delivered to your inbox by subscribing here.