A fire that displaced 25 residents of a north Spokane apartment building on Wednesday was caused by an unattended candle, Assistant Fire Chief Brian Schaeffer said.
The fire was reported just before 7 p.m. at 727 W. Glass Ave.
Schaeffer said one unit was destroyed in the blaze. Even after the fire was out, firefighters determined that it was unsafe for other residents to remain in the building because carbon monoxide levels remained high.
The resident living in the apartment that was destroyed was not at home when the fire broke out, Schaeffer said. An upstairs neighbor reported the blaze.
Residents in other apartment units were allowed back on Thursday, Schaeffer said.
The fire displaced about 25 people from the building overnight Wednesday, the Inland Northwest Chapter of the American Red Cross reported in a news release. The organization opened a shelter for the residents at Spokane Friends Church.
Local journalism is essential.
Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.
Subscribe to the Coronavirus newsletter
Get the day’s latest Coronavirus news delivered to your inbox by subscribing to our newsletter.