Illegal campfire sparked deadly Big Sur wildfire, official says
Tue., Aug. 2, 2016
SAN FRANCISCO – A fire official says a deadly wildfire that continues to spread near California’s scenic Big Sur was started by an illegal camp fire.
Fire information officer Deborah McClain said Tuesday that investigators determined the blaze started July 22 in an area of Garapata Park where campfires are prohibited.
McClain says officials are still trying to determine who started the campfire and are asking for information from campers who were in the area before the massive blaze charred 67 square miles and destroyed 57 homes.
A bulldozer operator working the fire lines was killed last week in a rollover accident in steep, forested ridges.
Local journalism is essential.
Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.
Subscribe now to get breaking news alerts in your email inbox
Get breaking news delivered to your inbox as it happens.