A nun saved a sleeping man from a house fire early Sunday morning after she banged on the door to wake him up.
Sister Madonna Buder spotted the fire just before 6 a.m. in the San Souci Mobile Home Park at 3231 W. Boone Ave. The home’s smoke detector had not gone off and the man was asleep.
“Her quick thinking and immediate action in waking up this gentleman helped ensure he was able to safely evacuate without any injures,” said Spokane Fire Department Assistant Chief Brian Schaeffer.
Buder, who is in her mid-80s, is well known for her continued participation in marathons and Ironman races.
The fire appeared to have started on the back deck. The cause was traced to smoking materials and was determined to be accidental, Schaeffer said. Damage to the mobile home is estimated at $60,000.
Subscribe to the Morning Review newsletter
Get the day’s top headlines delivered to your inbox every morning by subscribing to our newsletter.