Arrow-right Camera
The Spokesman-Review Newspaper

The Spokesman-Review Newspaper The Spokesman-Review

Spokane, Washington  Est. May 19, 1883
Cloudy 30° Cloudy
Sports >  High school sports

State soccer: Interlake edges Mt. Spokane in 3A opener

Jim Allen

The match had barely ended when Mt. Spokane soccer coach Ryan Campanella began to rewind the plays in his mind.

His Wildcats had just paid the price for missed opportunities, falling 1-0 to Interlake in a first-round State 3A playoff match Tuesday night at Spokane Falls Community College.

“You watch the boys put so much effort into the season, and the next thing you know, it’s over,” Campanella said as his players soaked in the finality of it all.

Mt. Spokane probably deserved better – “It should be 4-0,” one player yelled in frustration as the teams came off for halftime – but the Wildcats gave up a goal two minutes after intermission and couldn’t connect for an equalizer.

The win sends Interlake (11-5) into a quarterfinal match this weekend at Kamiakin. Mt. Spokane finishes 7-10.

“I felt like we matched up really well,” said Campanella, whose team outshot the winners 23-9. “I was hoping one of those would be in the back of the net.”

The Interlake players seemed a step slow in the first half after the bus ride from Bellevue, and Mt. Spokane tried to take advantage. All-Greater Spokane League midfielder Tyler Smith shot just over the bar in the 18th minute and Chance Champoux was a split second late to tap in a corner later.

Mt. Spokane’s best chances came late in the half, as Alex Foust’s shot from 5 yards was smothered by Saints goalkeeper Sam Dawson and Peter Stewart hit the left post.

Mt. Spokane was taken by surprise early in the second half as all-KingCo League forward Austin Ball capped a counterattack by taking a long pass and shooting the ball past keeper Camden Clegg.

“We got caught a little on the counter,” Campanella said.

The Wildcats stepped up the pressure in the second half, but almost gave up a second goal halfway through the period. Clegg saved one shot, but the rebound fell to an Interlake player. The shot flew past Clegg but was cleared off the line by Jake Elliott.

Mt. Spokane’s last chances came on a pair of near-miss headers from Daniel Conrad.

State 2A

Quincy 3, Pullman 2: The Greyhounds took a 2-0 lead in the first 15 minutes, but lost the to visiting Jackrabbits in the first round of state.

Matt Winchell and Sam Druffel staked Pullman to the early lead, which was cut in half by an own goal midway through the first half.

The Greyhounds (15-4) gave up the equalizer nine minutes after halftime and the winner with 20 minutes left.

Quincy outshot Pullman 13-10.

State 1A

Newport 3, Cascade (Leavenworth) 2: Kai Thomas netted a hat trick, including the winner in the 75th minute, to lead the Grizzlies past the visiting Kodiaks in the first round.

The Grizzlies (12-5) will play at Brewster or Highland in the quarterfinals later this week.

Thomas opened the scoring in the 10th minute on an assist from Kyler Zorica. Two minutes into the second half he doubled the lead thanks to a pass from Johnny Quandt.

With Newport leading 2-1 with five minutes left, Thomas scored again on an assist from Leo Fernandez.

The Spokesman-Review Newspaper

Local journalism is essential.

Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.

Active Person

Subscribe to the sports newsletter

Get the day’s top sports headlines and breaking news delivered to your inbox by subscribing here.