Arrow-right Camera
The Spokesman-Review Newspaper

The Spokesman-Review Newspaper The Spokesman-Review

Spokane, Washington  Est. May 19, 1883
Cloudy 26° Cloudy
News >  Spokane

Several apartments evacuated after early-morning fire in Spokane Valley

From staff reports

As many as nine tenants were displaced after fire damaged several apartments early Monday in Spokane Valley.

Firefighters were called to the Aspen Apartments at 15821 E. Fourth Ave. shortly before 3 a.m. Spokane Valley Fire Marshal Greg Rogers said a family had woken to smoke alarms and fled their apartment. The fire apparently started on the family’s third-floor balcony and climbed into the attic, he said.

One woman who lived in that apartment was treated for smoke inhalation but didn’t require hospitalization, Rogers said.

The fire is listed as accidental and apparently started with smoking materials or a portable heater, Rogers said. It spread to three other apartments, and tenants are waiting for the city’s building department to assess the damage.

Rogers said crews quickly knocked down the fire, but he noted that the complex does not have fire sprinklers because it was built before the state required them.

“Definitely, if it would have had sprinklers, it would have been a slightly different outcome,” he said.

The Spokesman-Review Newspaper

Local journalism is essential.

Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.

Active Person

Subscribe to the Coronavirus newsletter

Get the day’s latest Coronavirus news delivered to your inbox by subscribing to our newsletter.