PORTLAND – The Oregon Department of Environmental Quality found asbestos at the blast site after natural gas sparked an explosion in northwest Portland.
The Oregonian/OregonLive reported that department spokesman Matthew Van Sickle said tests done Thursday discovered asbestos among the rubble of a 101-year-old building. Roofing felt was found that contained 35 percent of the dangerous fibrous material.
The department will be spraying foam on the debris and monitoring air quality on a daily basis, but he said there is no public safety concern at the site.
The explosion hurt eight people Wednesday morning, demolished a three-story historic building and ignited a fire that sent a plume of smoke over the city. Three firefighters, two police officers and three civilians were injured.
Local journalism is essential.
Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.
Subscribe to the Coronavirus newsletter
Get the day’s latest Coronavirus news delivered to your inbox by subscribing to our newsletter.