LOS ANGELES – Authorities say nearly 3 dozen animals were killed when flames ripped through a Los Angeles pet shop.
Fire Inspector Joey Marron says the blaze was reported around 2:30 a.m. Tuesday in the Lennox area.
Marron says firefighters rescued about 250 animals including rabbits and birds. He says 35 fish, reptiles and other animals died.
Officials suspect an electrical problem sparked the fire. Animal control officers and the pet store owner are assisting investigators.
A damage estimate was not immediately available.
Local journalism is essential.
Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.
Subscribe to the Coronavirus newsletter
Get the day’s latest Coronavirus news delivered to your inbox by subscribing to our newsletter.