Arrow-right Camera
The Spokesman-Review Newspaper
Spokane, Washington  Est. May 19, 1883

Pullman police stunned, grappled with former Washington State cornerback after counterfeit cash incident

Treshon Broughton, a Washington State University senior who finished his Cougar football career as a cornerback last season, is shown reacting during the first half of a football game against Arizona on Oct 15, 2016, at Martin Stadium in Pullman. He is on the left (No. 16). (Tyler Tjomsland / The Spokesman-Review)

Pullman police used a neck hold and a Taser to subdue a former Washington State University football player after he allegedly tried to spend counterfeit cash at a liquor store and became confrontational with employees and bystanders.

Treshon Broughton, a WSU senior who finished his Cougar football career last season, faces charges of resisting arrest and obstructing a law enforcement officer for the Feb. 18 incident at Adams Mall, a popular drinking spot.

Broughton, 22, has been released from the Whitman County Jail and was arraigned on the charges, both gross misdemeanors, on Wednesday. Attempts to contact him and his attorney were unsuccessful.

According to a police report, Officer Shane Emerson responded to Bob’s Corner Market just before 2 a.m. and found Broughton arguing with employees inside. Employees later told police Broughton had tried to buy a cigarette lighter with a $20 bill that was obviously fake.

Emerson asked Broughton for his ID, but he refused to cooperate and the officer suspected he might run, according to the report. Emerson grabbed Broughton’s arm and tried to place him in handcuffs, but Broughton resisted and threw his arms in the air, questioning why he was under arrest, the report states.

Emerson wrote in the report that Broughton appeared drunk and there was the smell of liquor on his breath. He wrote, “I did not feel comfortable with his resistance and felt it was prudent to fully detain him.”

A second officer, Alex Gordon, arrived and ordered Broughton to comply, but he refused, according to the report.

“Officer Gordon attempted to place Broughton into a lateral vascular neck restraint and Broughton was able to get out of his hold,” Emerson wrote. “We took Broughton to the ground and he remained on his knees, pushing up with his arms. For the record, Broughton was a member of the 2016 WSU football team and from my training and experience appeared exceptionally strong.”

The grappling continued and, at one point, Broughton rolled on top of Emerson, according to the report. After issuing a warning that Broughton ignored, Gordon deployed his Taser into Broughton’s upper back, the report states. Emerson then pinned Broughton to the ground and put on handcuffs.

He was searched incident to arrest and no currency of any kind was found on his person, fake or otherwise, the report states.

The officers said Broughton’s behavior didn’t improve after he was booked into jail.

“Broughton was later placed into a restraint chair, as he was kicking his cell door, removed all of his clothing but his underwear and was yelling, refusing to calm down,” the report states.

“When Broughton was later released, he flooded his cell, demanding to have toilet paper. We offered him toilet paper and he said he would continue to flood his cell unless he was placed into a dry one. He was placed back into a restraint chair.”