Arrow-right Camera

The Spokesman-Review Newspaper The Spokesman-Review

Tuesday, October 22, 2019  Spokane, Washington  Est. May 19, 1883
Clear Night 47° Clear
News >  Crime/Public Safety

Dog dies in Spokane Valley house fire with no working smoke detectors

UPDATED: Tue., Aug. 29, 2017, 3:38 p.m.

A dog died in a house fire in Spokane Valley early Tuesday morning where working smoke detectors were not present.

Spokane Valley firefighters responded to the residence at 10806 E. Fourth Avenue at about 3:30 a.m., where they observed heavy smoke and fire coming out of the doors and windows on the front of the building, according to a Spokane Valley Fire Department news release.

Two adult females were inside when the fire began, firefighters said. One awoke to the sound of the fire and woke the other resident. Both were able to escape without injury; however, one singed her hair as they escaped. A dog inside did not escape.

Firefighters said there were no working fire detectors in the house.

Fourteen vehicles responded to the fire, including crews from Spokane County Fire District 8. No injuries were reported.

Spokane Valley firefighters urged residents to ensure they had working smoke detectors.

Subscribe to the Morning Review newsletter

Get the day’s top headlines delivered to your inbox every morning by subscribing to our newsletter.

You have been successfully subscribed!
There was a problem subscribing you to the newsletter. Double check your email and try again, or email webteam@spokesman.com