Arrow-right Camera
The Spokesman-Review Newspaper

The Spokesman-Review Newspaper The Spokesman-Review

Spokane, Washington  Est. May 19, 1883
Partly Cloudy Night 55° Partly Cloudy
News >  World

Suspected Saudi-led airstrikes kill 15 in Yemen

UPDATED: Wed., Dec. 13, 2017

People carry the body of a man they uncovered from under the rubble of a Houthi-held detention center destroyed by Saudi-led airstrikes in Sanaa, Yemen, Wednesday, Dec. 13, 2017. (Hani Mohammed / Associated Press)
People carry the body of a man they uncovered from under the rubble of a Houthi-held detention center destroyed by Saudi-led airstrikes in Sanaa, Yemen, Wednesday, Dec. 13, 2017. (Hani Mohammed / Associated Press)
By Ahmed Al-Haj Associated Press

SANAA, Yemen – Suspected Saudi-led airstrikes in Yemen have killed at least 23 people, including prisoners, and wounded dozens in the rebel-held capital, Sanaa, rebel officials and eyewitnesses said Wednesday.

The airstrikes, which took place late Tuesday and early Wednesday, targeted a rebel military police camp. The Saudi-led coalition has intensified its campaign against the Shiite rebels, known as Houthis, since the rebels killed former Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh, their onetime ally, earlier this month.

Several buildings were damaged and dozens remain trapped under the rubble, the eyewitnesses and officials said. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to brief the media.

The Saudi-led coalition has been fighting the Iran-backed Houthis since March 2015 and has imposed a blockade on the impoverished country, allowing only occasional humanitarian access. The coalition could not immediately be reached for comment on the airstrikes.

The stalemated war has killed more than 10,000 civilians, displaced 3 million, crippled Yemen’s health system and pushed the Arab world’s poorest country to the brink of famine. The impoverished country is also grappling with a cholera epidemic.

Doctors Without Borders, known by the French acronym MSF, said Tuesday the war and the blockade contributed to a suspected diphtheria outbreak.

The group said over 300 suspected diphtheria cases and 28 deaths have been reported in 15 of Yemen’s 20 provinces from mid-August to early December. Diphtheria is a contagious and potentially fatal disease that primarily infects the throat and airways.

“This is undeniably another human-made disease inflicted on a country that has barely recovered from a massive cholera outbreak – which is not even over yet,” said MSF’s emergency coordinator in the Yemeni province of Ibb, Marc Poncin.

The Spokesman-Review Newspaper

Local journalism is essential.

Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.

Active Person

Subscribe now to get breaking news alerts in your email inbox

Get breaking news delivered to your inbox as it happens.